Wednesday, July 29, 2020

The Slog -- 'glassing the hull (again)

Another late night in the garage, but not exactly because of boatbuilding.  I got started late as we had some friends over and figured I should sober up before handling gallons of epoxy.  GUI ('glassing under the influence) is a big no no though not necessarily illegal.

Luckily, before imbibing, I cut out the 12" lengths that'll run along the chine as reinforcements and set them aside. 

A test showed a decent fit, so down went the frog tape.

Much later, I cut then laid out the 'glass for the forward section of the hull.  This defeated me last time so I was not going to repeat the same mistakes.  Instead of trying to finagle a bad epoxy job by the keel nose, I cut a lot of the 'glass away and will deal with it later.  This shows the layup before the surgery where I removed the triangle area.

About an hour later, here is the finished product.  Note the small touchup square a little south of the main part.  There are a few of these low spots I'm fixing as I find them.


The main side looks sleek in the garage light.

Here is the area I'll try to tackle in the next day or so.  Just forward of the new stuff is the triangular patch I'll have to rework as the 'glass won't reach from the bow here.  It's due to the geometry of the hull and people far smarter than me can probably figure out the math.  I just know it doesn't fit.


This is the keel nose where I cut away the 'glass and did not run it up the sides, but I wound up epoxying down some tape.  Luckily, I've done this a few times before and can deal with it by now.

A very (very) light crisscross score with a knife on cured epoxy will cause breaks in the right place.  Then if you put the blade underneath and lift, you can get most of this up without affecting the work underneath.  I sanded this down by hand rather than using the power tool.


So, another section done but I'm feeling the slog, mostly because I know what's next:  lift the tape, sand, and do it again.  And again.  And a few more times and maybe -- just maybe -- it'll be ready for the next big step.

No comments:

Post a Comment