Thursday, July 23, 2020

The Glassing Begins - Port Side Epoxy Work

After a very long time trying to get the hull and rub rails just so, I finally started 'glassing the hull. This was a very, very long coming and something I'd been thinking about off and on for the last 5 years. Here is basically where I left the boat in the garage, and here is where the finish line is first in sight.

The manual calls for a long bit of 'glass running the length of the hull, over the keel, and just beyond the chine that separates the lower hull from the topsides. By long, like 14 feet long.  No way I wanted to do that. I'm sure many other builders have built very fine boats this way but my 'glasswork is rusty at best. I figured I could do a few feet at a time so decided to layer over the keel widthwise vs. lengthwise.

That said, I know that that second layer over the chine will provide some extra protection.  My plan is, once this first layer is down, I'll layer down a 12" wide fiberglass runner along the chine, and then 6oz 'glass right along the bend. That'll do. 




Some sanding required climbing up on the hull.  I couldn't resist a selfie while up there.  It's surprisingly stable but I could still hear the creaking below me as my weight shifted.  I also tried to keep my weight to the where the floorboards are so I didn't put a knee through the hull.


And then 'glassed both sides down with a little bit down the transom, about 3 inches.


A couple spots needed some filler.


All that work at the rub rails paid off as it stuck pretty well.


I let this cure a bit and headed for the bow.


And then wet it out.  The cut looks a little odd because that's how the 'glass laid flat.  I cut a couple darts and just let it settle like this instead of trimming it too much.


When I do the other side, it'll provide a second layer across the bow. Aside from the keel nose block, this area is probably going to get hit the most.  I'll finish this off with some 6oz 'glass. Bring on the logs!

I then went for the middle of the hull after the bow cured.  I first prepped the centerboard opening, laying a bit of frog tape along the inside-sides just in case.  Laying 'glass and epoxy over this makes me really nervous but there doesn't appear to be any other way to 'glass over this.


I then returned to the kitchen floor to cut the midsection 'glass.  The kitchen's been my secondary workshop lately.




So some great progress!  Port side is almost done, at least the first coat.  It got dark while in there.


That's more progress in a couple days than the last 5 years.  Here's to more progress this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment