Monday, July 27, 2020

Forward 'glassing the hulls, part 3

I almost skipped work in the garage tonight but my wife insisted I make some progress before going to bed.  Why?  Because it makes me happy when I'm done.  I didn't mention that I am decidedly not happy while I'm doing it but I had to agree that progress is good.  Lack of progress is bad.  At least, lack of progress is bad towards finishing the boat, but not so bad if it's watching a good TV show or a sports thing.  Any sports thing these days.

I first cleaned up from the prior night's work and noticed this little gem:  a cup, melted from the middle down.  Keen readers will note that I made a mess of the 'glass up a couple nights ago partly because the epoxy got hot in my hand so I had to put it down.  Little did I know that I might've lost a hand (or a house) to fire.
 
 

Joking aside, this really shouldn't happen.  I've epoxy'd in warmer weather before, but it's never done this.  And this is supposed to be the "slow" acting stuff.  Note to self:  work faster, with smaller amounts, else up your insurance plan.   I'm glad this was on the concrete floor of the garage and not near something more sensitive to heat.

With that set aside, I went about the usual business of measuring out the layup, frog tape, and identifying those areas I needed to redo for whatever reason, like this area of the hull where I was short about six inches the other day.  In a few hours, no one will be the wiser!

 

And here is that triangular area near the keel nose, which still remains largely epoxy free as I figure out how to deal with it.


The main part went pretty well, all things considered, and as far as I know there are no fires in the garage tonight.


Here is a view of the other side of the keel getting its second layer of 'glass.
  

I should be able to tackle the remaining bow area tomorrow and the area behind it the day after that.  But port is now done end-to-end once that little patch cures.  This means I can lay down the reinforcement 'glass along the chine and the keel on that side of the hull.

No comments:

Post a Comment