Monday, December 22, 2014

Travel Orders

Some time ago, I wrote on these pages that I actually started this blog to trace my efforts to join the Department of State as a Foreign Service Officer. Last May, I passed the final test, the interviews in DC, and then spent the next year or so waiting for my clearances (one must earn a Class 1 worldwide medical and a TOP SECRET clearance, which is a whole 'nother process entirely). In the meantime, I went about my life including some travel, boatbuilding, and sailing in the Caribbean.

While in St. Maarten, I received notice that all the final hurdles had been passed and I was cleared to be hired.  Then I had to wait for Congress to get its act together, pass a budget, and provide hiring authority for the next diplomatic boot camp called A-100.  Well, that next boot camp is January, 2015 and I received my official travel orders last week.  In other words, less than 3 weeks from now as I write this.  I will be packing up what I can on January 8 and driving out to begin a new career and life as a federal employee.

What does that mean for PocketShip?  It's no secret that I've been, at times, a lazy builder.  With other things to do and higher priorities, I've let the boat lag.  So as I've seen boats started later than mine sail before mine, I have to admit a twinge of jealousy and more-than-annoyance with myself.  But I never thought I could finish within the 18 month time frame I set.  I'd always said two years, which would be May 2015, and that's the schedule I was internally working towards.

As it sits, it has the keel fillets in place (but not sanded) and I think I can get it 'glassed and sanded before it goes into hibernation.  If I can get it painted, that would be terrific but I have a million and four things to do between now and January 8 and I  just don't see it happening.  Taking it with me isn't an option.  I'll be living in an apartment complex with no access to power tools, a garage, or space.

That means PocketShip will be moved into the garage next door for storage.  I will cover it and gently put it away here in Minnesota until I'm able to tackle the myriad bits and pieces it will take to finish it.  It's a bitter pill; I'm not one to leave projects incomplete.  It's also not lost on me that I'm moving about an hour from CLC and would have unfettered access to equipment, hardware, and assistance.  So I'm thinking maybe if all goes well, once the dust settles out there, I might be able to come back and trailer it to DC and bring it a bit closer to home, wherever home might be.

Until then, this is likely the last PocketShip post you'll see from me for awhile.  I hope what I've written on these pages was slightly entertaining and maybe even a little bit helpful.  I've enjoyed the build and the interaction with the community.  I've made real friends from these pages and to them I'm eternally grateful for the assistance and support over the last 18 months.  This isn't the end, though, just a slight pause in what comes next.

Before signing off, let me reveal the worst-kept-secret in the history of boatbuidling:  the name.  My PocketShip will be called, of course, Sun Monkey.  Save me a spot in the flotilla.

-Larry

2 comments: