Tuesday, February 19, 2013

PocketShip, a.k.a. s/v TBD

I put an order in for PocketShip kit today from Chesapeake Light Craft. What is a PocketShip? A dream, really. A 16-foot, hopefully not-too-expensive dream. In reality, it's a small sailboat built from marine plywood, glue, and lots and lots of sanding. When finished, it is (theoretically) capable of sailing the 50 miles from Florida to the Bahamas and then cruising from island to island. Whether or not this skipper is (theoretically) capable of sailing the 50 miles is another question.

An important point to make, however, is that I'm not building this because I want a boat. I can have a 26' sailboat for half the price of the expected cost of build. I can have a 30' boat for a little less. You get the idea. I'm building it because I think there is simply nothing cooler than being able to sail and sleep on a boat built largely by my own hands.

How it arrives (pallet and epoxy) - not my photo
The trick, though, is to build it first. It will be a two year project in a small garage here in Minnesota. What better way to enjoy the land of 10,000 lakes than in your own boat? And once done, there's the Apostle Islands to explore, the St. Croix River, even the nooks and crannies of Lake Minnetonka. Minnesota is literally swimming in lakes! But it has to be built first.

At first, I planned to pick it up in Madison at the Canoeopia boat show and drive it back, to the Twin Cities, but Ed from CLC called me and outright said that would be "stupid" -- gotta love east coasters.

Anyway, he gave me the boat show price instead. And to boot, the company that makes MAS moved to South St. Paul from New Jersey! Just like me! So Ed arranged for me to pick up my epoxy right from the warehouse. Both efforts knocked off about $450. At that price, plywood vs. kit is comparable and after my ongoing escapades in making an imperfect router table, having a CNC machined kit raises the prospects for a successful build.

Unpacked from the pallet (not my photo)
However, Ed mentioned a backorder on the sapele for the transom, so they don't plan to ship until the second week of March. That'll give me just enough time to finish clearing out the garage and maybe it'll be just warm enough to start the keel build? Time will tell.

PocketShip in France
PocketShip sails around the Island of Brehat in France

No comments:

Post a Comment