Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Slow Slog to Slothdom

When I started this blog a few months back, I swore that I'd keep it up to date. And here I am, far too long in this condition. Progress has been in stops and starts. I'm still working through finishing the floorboards / sole boards. They look great, but take awhile as I can only really work on them outside due to the size of the boards and the smell from the varnish. In preparation for the inevitable painting, I've cleaned out the hundreds of things that have accumulated in the hull over time: screws, tape, tools, shavings. But progress? Not really.

The trailer makes a good finishing table.

I spend a lot of time thinking about the boat, though. I've decided on a few things that have been weighing on my mind for a long time. First, I'm going to run the bilge pump line under bulkhead 8 (BH8) and through the back of the footwell. I'm also going to run the aft wires into a through hull also under BH8. That's the cleanest solution for what I want to do, and the safest, too. To that end, I just ordered a couple pieces that will help.

3/4" on either side with 5200 in the middle = watertight through hull love.

It involves removing the bottom 2/3 of the cleat on BH8 for the couple inches on either side for the through hull. It also involves ensuring there's a liftout back there for access.

Cut holes through bulkhead 8 just under the top of the cleat, between the floorboards back here. I'll trim a slot in the cleat where I'll insert the flat area of the through hull.
View from aft side of BH8. The right (starboard) hole is fully cut; the left has the pilot hole. These will get a coating of epoxy just for good measure.
Hi, guys! Test fit of hoses. Right one is electrical; white is bilge. Note that there will actually be two thru-hulls here with the hoses clamped to it so this will remain a watertight bulkhead. It won't be two hoses poking out.

Through the rabbit hole.
I'm also planning on more damage to bulkhead 8. There will be a couple deck plates here for entry to the laz area. I remember reading about someone doing this but I've never seen a photo of it. The purpose is for access to the laz from the cabin without having to leave the cabin. Apparently it also helps with laz ventilation,, but it'll really be to get my beer from the cooler. Depending on what other things I want access to will dictate how I further separate that compartment. I also think it will make the cabin look a little bigger, like a mirror does in a small room, while at the same time doubling (tripling?) "cabin" storage space. Doubtful will it affect buoyancy or the ship's ability to right itself. If water gets that high in my laz compartments, I've got bigger problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment