Saturday, October 26, 2013

C-269*M D-11.3NM S-3K

I started the day in my Coastal Navigation class, ASA 105. This class is a prerequisite  for more advanced ASA courses like Advanced Coastal Cruising (106) and Offshore Passagemaking (108). I won't get into whether or not the classes are 'worth it' or whatever. I'll just say I have a lot of fun in these classes. With sailing, I've found that there's my way, that other guy's way, and the ASA way. All are worthwhile inputs to seamanship, so I do recommend these courses.  As for navigation, there's something inherently awesome about being able to use a divider, compass, and chart to get where you're going. Definitely punching a pretty cool man card with this class.

Homework - get from Cutterbunk to Sakonet Pt. Try to avoid the 60 year old submerged depth charge.
I like how on the map there's an "unexploded depth charge" in the middle of Rhode Island Sound. Apparently it's been there since 1957 in 130 feet of water. They tell you these things so you don't anchor on it or drop a crab net in the area. I have to think someone's going to try to recover that thing, no?

Once I got home, I did some family stuff and then cranked up the heat and opened the garage door. It was in the low 50's today in Minnesota, a balmy day by any October standard, so I began a real concerted effort to get some painting done this weekend. However, as others described, intentionally or not, sanding and prepping takes an awful long time. Still, there's something also very satisfying about this process. It's gearing up to something really cool. Getting the interior hull painted is a major milestone and opens the door to a rapid accretion of decks, topsides, and "the flip". Practically, I get the floorboards off the bow and into the boat. Finally. Minor work to build the cut outs will ensue but that's not a big deal.

In the meantime, I built my speaker boxes using some scrap marine ply. Kit builders will recognize these shapes.

To be speaker parts.

After about 10 seconds of a freehand jigsaw, I went out and tried to buy 5" and 6" hole saws but was aghast at the prices. If I wanted a full set of the larger sizes, it'd be $100, easy. So I did some research and found something for $22 that got awful reviews on Amazon. The idea is that it's variable and can cut holes between 4" and 7". It has "self-sharpening blades" and attaches to a normal hand drill. Sure, why not. Without question, this is probably the most dangerous instrument I've ever had the pleasure of using. With very careful manipulation, some praying, and a fire extinguisher at the ready, I managed to cut reasonably good holes with it. The smoke it let off was just icing on the cake.

Contraption on the left; hole on the right. It works but not for the weak kneed or shaky hands.

Matching ones. I later cut these down to match the profile of the compartment.
The speaker boxes will look a little different from some others. Rather than being flush to the port or starboard sides, I'll have maybe 1"-2" side wall that faces the inside cabin. This wasn't intentional, just the way I cut it. After much deliberation, I decided to keep it like that instead of recutting and wasting the plywood. It'll still look good, just different. I can then use that small side for hanging things if necessary.

Frog tape = getting ready for primer.
Oh, did I mention the road to painting? The photo above with the frog tape was taken after about 2 hours of sanding random things in the hull. I also replaced some divots I made when attaching the laz cleats, holes where the screws went through the cleats and bulkhead. Those will get sanded down smooth. I also brushed epoxy on the new cleats and the holes that I expanded last week for a little extra protection.

While that epoxy cured, I laid the tape down. The tape is 2" from each edge (and 2" above the floor boards). I have a fairly large dashboard so didn't want to go to far into the bulkhead with paint. The upper corners on each side will have a rounded, painted area where the dorade vents go, but since I'm not sure where exactly they are yet, I'll leave that til later. I'm definitely going to get my $22 out of the hole saw.

Test fit of the floorboard. I used this to measure out the frog tape on bulkhead 2, and also to see if the floors were still level. All good so afr.
Once all this was laid down, there wasn't much else I could do while the epoxy cured. I then picked out all the wood that will serve as the seatback frames and sanded those in prep for epoxy. It'd be nice to get those ready for installation if I get a day or two in the coming couple weeks that lets me work. Now and then Mother Nature surprises us. A couple years back, it was 70 degrees on Halloween. Spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment