Friday, August 23, 2013

Dasher & Dancer

Quick post to show off the 3/4 done dashboard I'm installing. After a LOT of angst and diorama fun, I decided on the bottom design.

Scrap piece of 1/2" ply. Looks like a modern art dog. I will recreate this some day. The dash came from the belly.

Layout of template in pencil.
Rough cut of template. I used a rasp to get these to spec then sanded.
Why are things where they are? That's quite a metaphysical question. It's a little different layout from the one from a couple days ago. My wife, who is an expert ergonomical entity, suggested a couple changes that I incorporated here. First, the VHF below the radio didn't leave a lot of room to mess with the radio buttons. They both jut out about 1/4" and need their own space. I left the VHF on the right because I plan to tuck the mic behind the locker against a board, noting that this contraption will eventually be a 4-sided box without a top and bottom. The back of the box, on a hinge, will be where I'll put the solar controller and bus bars.

I also moved the 12v chargers to the top because there will be a small shelf between the dorade vents on bulkhead 2. This top shelf will be a nice place to rest charging things like phones and pads. I found some cool and cheap 12v USB lights and fans that can also enjoy the higher view from that shelf. It doesn't (I don't think) look as good, but it will be far more functional.

Once I'm able to install the voltmeter (it's somewhere in the Sea of China as I type this) and the switch, the row below the radio will look complete. There wasn't much I could do about the master kill switch. I thought about putting that around the back, too, but it is far too bulky to sit anywhere but here.

Dry fit of the components. Missing is a 2nd 12v charger on the right and the voltmeter in the middle. Haven't decided if I want to put a hook for the vhf mic there or a rocker switch for the cabin lights. The white bar above the radio is actually a 6" red led. I'll have a 12" one on the cabin roof, so the rocker switch will come in handy.
This post reminds me of my conversation with the Marine store guy awhile back, the one with the 26 footer without "as much stuff as I'm putting in". First, I don't think this is a lot of stuff. Maybe the VHF is extra but radios and lights shouldn't be luxuries reserved for larger boats. Second, I'm ready to go with 3 bus bars. He didn't think I needed even one. I don't see how that's possible if this is to be a clean, functional , safe build. Third, screw that guy. If I want to put in a radar tower and launch rockets off the bow, he should tell me what I need to do it, not convince me that somehow a small boat is an inferior object, not worthy of superior equipment. I didn't even tell him I've got a GPS, bilge pump, and a horn in the circuit. Yes, a horn! I'm not even waiting for fog to use that thing. This is so, so much more fun than epoxy.

Still some work to do but nice to see this one coming together. I'll likely be painting this white with a dark wood trim (probably whatever padauk I have leftover). I'd originally planned to keep this bright, but I got some significant tearout from the jigsaw, plus the bulkhead will be bright.

Speaking of padauk, I picked up another few board feet of it today from the still-awesomely named "Hardwood Supply". I walked in and the first thing he said to me was, "Got any pictures?" Of course I do... so I showed him the boom gallows, tiller, and floor so far. He was duly impressed. Readers may remember that the hardwood supply guy's dad built a 54' schooner that still sails. He spends his weekends taking care of it. I dig that quite a bit.. but not that much as I want to because he still refuses to get me good lengths of clear cut pine. He's a HARDWOOD supply, he reminds me. I'm still working on it.

2 comments:

  1. I have been trying to leave comment on your blog with not much luck.. We actually met on your trip to Okoume fest....I was the one without my boat (Naoned)....my apologies about that....I hope you can make it to the next one and I will make sure to bring my boat if not YOU NEED TO STAY with us at our house in Silver Spring . I have been following your blog and I am very impress with your work and the fact that you bought an other beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, and thanks for the visit! I remember - that was a great opportunity to share experiences with another builder. I will have to take you up on that offer next year. I camped on the 'grounds and wound up visiting a Minute Clinic to be treated for potential lyme disease. My wife pulled 10(!) ticks off me when I returned. Never again!! In any case, I deleted the post with your email on it so the spammers don't get it. But I do have it, and of course you can always reach me here, too. I plan to post an update to the blog soon. I wish I had more progress but alas with the other boat and other things it just wasn't meant to be. Fair winds!

      Delete