Friday, March 28, 2014

When Tomorrow Never Comes - Footwell Fillets

Last week, I'd drilled the footwells in place and thought that by 'tomorrow' I'd have the cockpit sole down. Well, tomorrow came and went and there's still no cockpit sole. Time is really tough to come by these days. I started an MBA program at the State University here. I have a class that's on the main campus, 90 minutes each way, meaning I work all day, go to class for 3 hours, then drive home. Two other days I have class at their satellite campus just 15 minutes away, but they're still 3 hour classes. With the homework, my day job, and whatever socializing I can muster, there's not a ton of room for boatie stuff. I did spend 10 minutes pulling the drywall screws out the other night, but that was the extent of it.  The worst part is I'm exhausted and asleep by 11 most nights. Sacrilege!

Alas, it's Friday evening. Rather than go to wallyball with friends and family, I was determined to make progress tonight. I started by drilling out the pendant hole. As others have noted, the manual isn't quite right here, as the diameter of the drilled hole is the same as the bushing that goes in it. What has to really happen is the hole must be about 1" across, filled with epoxy, and then redrilled at 5/8" to fit the bushing. Instead, the manual calls for 5/8" then something smaller, which doesn't fit the bushing.

I didn't feel like drilling out a 1" hole then refilling it with the risk of mucking up the centerboard trunk. So I drilled all the way through with a small diameter bore, yet large enough for the pendant itself, then redrilled with the 5/8" bit only about an inch deep to fit the bushing. I'll lather on a bit of epoxy when I install the bushing. None of the wood will be exposed, the pendant can still fit through, and I'll have a nice finish to the bushing. Problem solved.

The next step in the build was to fillet the footwell fast.

Down the length. Spoons make great fillet tools.

Full length of epoxy. Took about .. 20 pumps?

Transom area. Little mucky here but it'll look better once shaped.
These photos may not look like much but it's about 3 hours of work here. Between prepping the transom, sanding the nubs down on the footwell, evening stuff out, and mixing/applying fillets, time flies. I'm waiting for this to set a little bit and I'll go over it with a fine toothed alcohol finger to smooth out the rough spots. I'd like to cut some more flotation foam for either side of the laz floors, but maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment