Monday, May 6, 2013

The First Sea Stories

Mother Nature finally succumbed to my threats and let loose the spring she always had just behind the curtain. Saturday was in the 40's and cloudy, but the late afternoon saw glimmers of hope as the sky began to clear. Sunday seemed to be more of the same with morning clouds that gave way to a remarkable afternoon. Sunday was also the first time in Minnesota I was able to get on a sailboat, a 30 foot sloop out of Lake Pepin, since last year and as luck would have it, not the only time I was able to sail this week.

At the bow. Or, how I spent my Sunday afternoon.
She's a beauty.
Since, however, this is a PocketShip blog, I'll talk about tonight's excursion with Chris aboard his Chucky B. I met him at his house for the season's shakedown sail, which included a rudder fix, re-rigging, a new extended gaff, and a cabin remodel. We headed over the boat dock at Waconia, dipped the boat in the water, and moored to the dock as Chris started stepping the mast getting ready for the ride. I did my best to help but it was obvious help wasn't needed so I took in the process hoping I'd remember for next time.

My wife joined us just as the main was raised so we motored in to pick her up. The fourth member of our crew was not able to join. Also not able to join was the wind. Alas, the wind was not with us as a dead calm settled over the lake. Disappointed, we fired up the Lehr propane outboard and headed for a circumnavigation of Coney Island. No, not that one.

Lake Waconia

In the old days, Chris explained, the trolley cars of Minneapolis ended their run at Waconia. In an effort to keep people there, someone decided to build an amusement park in the middle of the lake. Hence, the name Coney Island after the New York City icon. No word if Nathan's set up shop there, too.

At the point of the island. This had 18 inches of ice just last week.
We cut the motor and sat idle for a bit, chatting the afternoon away, hoping for the puff of wind that never came. No matter. Being out on a boat as the sun set, comerans diving out of the trees, fish jumping from the water, was a spectacular way to spend a couple hours.

Skipper and his crew (me).
It gave me a chance to really give the boat a workout. I was up on the toerails, in the anchor well, lying down in the cabin, moving my feet from port to starboard. I couldn't NOT be comfortable on this boat. It's remarkable, really. I spent Sunday afternoon on a 30 foot sloop. In all seriousness, this is a more comfortable boat. By far. Sure, I could use the head on the sloop while standing up but that's about the only real advantage.

I came home tonight with every intention to work on the centerboard and finish up the final layer of epoxy on the topside panels. But I wrote this blog tonight and I have to be at an early meeting tomorrow, so that will have to wait. With the weather better, I don't feel the urgency to work on the boat as I did before - I want to be out! That'll go away once I get used to the warm weather again. Thanks, Chris, for an awesome sail.
 
The Lehr propane motor. We used less than a bottle for the 2.5 hours.
A view up the mast. This was scarfed from 2 8 foot planks.
Chris, the Skipper/Builder, and my wife.
View over the port side.
View towards the bow as the sun set.
One of the better sunsets I can remember.
Settling in the cabin. Nav lights were on.
Running lines as we motored in.
Chucky B at sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment