Monday, June 3, 2013

Winds of Change

A little known fact about this blog is that it actually started as I began the process to become a Foreign Service Officer three years ago. That process ended almost as soon as it began. I passed the written test but did not get past the Qualifications Evaluation Panel (the "QEP," or, what I did on my summer vacation) a couple months later. The exam can only be taken once per year and not passing during any stage means going right back to the beginning. In between attempts, I've simply gone on with my life, such as, I don't know, ordering $3,000 worth of wood and glue. They say that the Foreign Service should be a Plan B at best, and likely a Plan C, because 20,000 people start and only about 300 finish. That's a lot of disappointment.

Diplomatic passport. iStockphoto/Thinkstock.
The Black passport. It goes with everything.

However, I am pleased to report that I am one of the 300. I passed the Oral Assessment in DC last Friday to receive a Conditional Offer of Employment with the U.S. State Department, pending medical and security clearances (med/sec). I also scored high enough that it's very likely that if I pass med/sec I'll be invited pretty quickly. It's been a long haul though not necessarily an unpleasant one. I got two trips to DC out of it and learned more about myself and my country than I ever thought possible.

For anyone curious, here's what trying to get into the State Department looks like to date:
  • October 2010 - Took FS exam #1. Passed.
  • November 2010 - Submitted short essays for QEP.
  • January 2011 - Did not pass QEP #1. End candidacy.
  • October 2011 - Took FS exam #2. Passed.
  • November 2011 - Submitted short essays for QEP.
  • January 2012 - Passed QEP #2. Invited to take OA.
  • June 2012 - Failed OA #1. End candidacy.
  • October 2012 - Took FS exam #3. Passed.
  • November 2012 - Submitted short essays for QEP.
  • January 2013 - Passed QEP #3. Invited to OA.
  • May 2013 - Passed OA #2. Begin security and medical clearance.
I've already been contacted by Diplomatic Security (DS) so it's just a matter of time before all my followers and heavy readers get a call from them, too. That's your warning to drop now. I guess that also means I should finish up the boat, because I can't take it with me (unless maybe I post to Ottowa or DC?) The only thing I know for sure, if I make it to post, is I'll serve anywhere in the world the U.S. has a mission. I'd like it to be somewhere near water, of course. Kolonia, Micronesia, is a leading candidate.

Kolonia city, Pohnpei
Kolonia, Micronesia. Just have to sail there first.
Baghdad is more likely. I hear the chicken wings are worth fighting for.

So, that's what I've been up the last few days. Yeah, there's been a little boatbuilding: I'm just about done pulling the wires out (more on that in a later post) and I've got some fillet tape down for the transom. But all this travel sure cuts into quality boat time. Winds of change are on the horizon. There's not much I can do about it. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your perseverance paying off. I hope that you get posted somewhere tropical with not too much excitement.
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Ken. Thanks for the note. It's a long haul (still) before I wind up anywhere, if at all. So, for better or worse, I'll keep building and writing!

      Delete