Friday, October 3, 2014

Cockpit and Topsides Fiberglass Fun

The difference between a job and a hobby is when you can quit.  If I were being paid to build PocketShip, with expectations of certain levels of progress, I probably would've been fired a long time ago.  Tonight is a good example.  After 'glassing most of the cockpit and topsides, I'd had enough and stopped to do something else.  I could've added the second epoxy application, 'glassed the transom, and (sigh) sanded some more.  All of those things will certainly be done, but I'd had enough.  In fact, I'm actually slightly ahead of schedule for once.

I began today by removing the green tape and sanding down the edges.  As noted in the last post, I'm happy with my technique and no longer worry about mucking up the 'glassing.   The final piece of this learning curve actually happened during the centerboard 'glassing exercise, when I used several pieces to cover the curves instead of one big sheet.

Peeling away the tape and breaking the 'glass along the edge.  This gets sanded down and the next layer gets applied on top of it, a couple inches overlapping.  Note the dark spot in the photo above and below.

The new edge gets feathered in..

And then disappears.  Epoxy makes everything better.
This photo is the footwell. The top part overlaps about 2 inches and is virtually seamless.

Another example of the tape technique at work.

But I can't just rest on my laurels. There's more 'glassing to do!  So I laid out the 'glass on the family room floor and cut them to spec for four of the remaining parts: both forward side panels and the seatbacks roughly amidships.

Layout of the 'glass to be installed.

Draping the final pieces over the seat backs.
Once those got wet down, I cut the piece that sits in front of the companionway. This is a high traffic, high stress, high visibility area so had to be good.  Or, I'll just get some cushions.

Finalizing the welcome mat. Note the two freshly 'glassed side areas.

And then once that got put down, I finished up the night with the forward side panels.  The 'glass didn't cross the bow.  I'll be adding a few layers there, anyway, so wasn't concerned about that.  I had to open the garage door here to finish up, standing outside in a light drizzle.

Forward topside panel.  I have a hawse pipe I plan to install here.
So there you have it -- the external topsides 'glasswork done except for the transom.  I plan to install the rub rails tomorrow (Friday) and have that cure an extra long time.  There's a big Oktoberfesty kinda thing Saturday with my wife as the designated driver, so there won't be any building Saturday (and with any luck, Sunday either).  It's a hobby, right....

4 comments:

  1. I just 'glassed the inside of my Eastport Pram. When I was wetting it out, I was thinking a) that it was the largest bit of fiberglass work I'd done for a while, and b) I must have got a lot of practice somewhere, since it was turning out reall good.. Then I read you post and remembered just how big some of the 'glass jobs really were on Pocketship. The topsides, esp. the cockpit, were just nuts! Doing the multi-phase wet out on the cockpit was big, but then doing the subsequent "fill-the-weave" coats, where I think I did the whole boat at one time. On reflection, I've come to the conclusion, that PocketShip builders must be crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the other day that no other project I'd tackle could be as complex, time-consuming, or crazy as this boat. Kaholo paddleboard? Kayak? Pram? I'd finish those in a weekend!!

      I'm actually nearing the end of my epoxy stores, just a gallon left of the hardener. I did quite a bit of extra 'glass work (cockpit undersides, MacGregor work, tiller and boom gallows lamination). So I've been avoiding the extra coats until I know I have enough to finish the rub rails and areas forward. I'm planning the flip this weekend so we'll see.

      Delete
    2. Better be careful...I thought I'D knock out the pram in two, three weeks max. Yeeeaaaahhhh. I've been bad about updating the blog, not that there has been a lot of progress to report. I have the boat glued and filleted, and most fiberglassed. Rubrails are up next, fortunately those lamination are a lot thinner than PocketShip's, so hopefully there won't be any drama. :-)

      Delete
  2. I feel really happy to have seen your webpage and look forward to so many more entertaining times reading here. Same as your blog I found another one Sohman Epoxy
    . Actually, I was looking for the same information on the internet forSohman Epoxy
    and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information that you have on this blog. Thanks once more for designs.

    ReplyDelete